Blog Description

The Cartridge Comparison Guide will help every rifle enthusiast from the absolute beginner to the advanced shooter!
It has been called "THE HUNTING BIBLE" by Professional Hunters Savannah Safaris and a "GOLD MINE" of information by US Fish and Wildlife Officials.

September 8, 2010

Aimpoint scopes, AMAZING

The AIMPOINT red dot Rifle Scope.  This was one of the most surprising, exciting and literally eye opening products I found at the POMA conference. The Aimpoint scope I used caused a complete change in my attitude towards red dot scopes.  I am definitely going to get one for a test run.  I may even begin using them, we'll see.

Several years ago I used a few different red dot scopes.  To say the least I did not like them.  Most had either poor glass that caused image hazing or clouding, dot glare, inappropriate dot size for distance, eye relief issues, or rapid loss of battery life (rendering the scope useless at any time).  One of these issues is bad enough, but combining two or three... Oh man, bad news!  Even worse was having these issues with goggles that were foggy, slightly scratched or hazy, causing horrific visual distraction and eye fatigue.  Forget it!  Most of the time I either saw the dot or the target, not both.  In addition, the dot was typically to large for shooting any area smaller than a six inch circle at 100 yards.  I'm sure you now understand that I did not like them.

I saw Aimpoint set up at the 100 yard section of the range during the POMA conference.  When I looked through one of their scopes, I was AMAZED!  I stopped and took a picture of what I  saw.  This was a zero magnification scope, so there was no disruption to my field of view.  The dot is easily seen and covers about a 3 inch circle at 100 yards (ask Aimpoint for the exact measure).  The target was a steel silhouette of a buffalo, roughly 30 inches across and 22 inches tall. The scope set up and the size of the red dot was perfect!

I asked if I could send a few rounds down range.  I put three down range, all rounds hitting right where I put the dot.  I then began reloading and pushing rounds down range faster and faster with each fresh stack of 5 rounds. To say the least, I was impressed.  The ability to chamber a round and squeeze as quickly as the two lined up was amazing.  It wasn't as fast as an AR platform, or to use the proper new term, it wasn't as quick as using a Modern Sporting Rifle (MSR) but for just picking up a bolt rifle, it was pretty fast.  I did better than 5 rounds down range and on target in 12 seconds.  It was simple, no thinking about the reticle, just acquire and squeeze.  I have to admit, I was smiling ear to ear and laughing. 

I think the folks at Aimpoint saw the opportunity to take me to school.  They asked me if I could shoot with both eyes open, and put the lens cap on the scope.  I laughed a little because the answer was obviously yes, but also that it didn't matter. (I can't see out of my right eye).  I was hesitant to tell them that I have a damaged right eye and was nearly blind in that eye for quite a few years.  But I laughed inside and thought, "What the H*!!".  I will try it out and see what happens, ha ha!  WOW!  For me it was nothing short of a miracle.  It was no huge miracle, but it worked!  Using my right eye, I could barely make out the dark splotch of the buffalo silhouette down range, but I could see it.  And right in the middle of the dark splotch was a crisp red dot.  THE LENS CAP WAS ON!  I had to lift my head and confirm that I was seeing my target correctly.  It was amazing.  I fired several rounds and hit the target just fine.  I was smiling so big, they told me to rip through another 5 rounds.  I wasn't able to shoot as quickly as before, and I missed one shot.  But I hit the target 4 out of 5 times at 100 yards with the lens cap on, using quick shots and looking with my bad eye.  (Pretty much a worse case scenario)  It was Awesome!

After reloading and firing a few more 5 round stacks, with my good eye straining to see the target and my damaged eye not seeing more than the splotches down range, my eyes started to fatigue and I had to stop.  But wow!  What a great test of a superior product!  For dangerous game applications, I have no doubt that this scope could not only prove to be a lifesaver, but provide a decisive edge in confidence and rapid target acquisition.  Additionally, for standard hunting applications, depending on your rifle and cartridge, I think this would be an awesome scope for any distance the keeps your total trajectory at + / - 3 inches.  ( So 200 to 300 yards).

On a personal note, I have not been able to use my injured right eye in shooting or any other activity for years.  It has been difficult for me to deal with, but I have learned to joke about it and disregard it's limitations.  After using that scope, I knew that if I had too, I could still use that eye.  That was a great experience.  It was a little emotional, but I was laughing and smiling so it was all good.

I am definitely going to try and get a hold of another Aimpoint Red Dot Hunting Scope and run it through a few more tests.  Aimpoint told me that I could throw their scopes against the wall or hit it with a piece of wood and it would still work.  My eyes got even bigger and I told them, that is the scope I need.  I am constantly dropping and bumping my optics.  Most can't handle the abuse.  They smiled and said that they have the scope(s) for me....  I am anxious to see just how great these scopes really are! 

1 comment:

  1. That's great piece of work for sharing the own experience and surely will help every rifle enthusiast to be the advanced shooter. Hunters may go for this model of Aimpoint red dot sights Aimpoint Micro H-1 11910.

    ReplyDelete